Tuesday

Balancing Equations!


Spring Break was so relaxing and wonderful, but now we are "bunny" hopping back into things at school!  10 weeks of school left!  Can you believe it?  I always get that "oh my gosh, there's still so much to teach them" feeling about this time of the year!  

This week, I'm working with my little firsties to understand the meaning of the equal sign, and determine if equations are "balanced."  This is the balance I use to let the kids build equations.  They can see the results right in front of them.  It is very concrete and provides a great visual for students.

Students use flower manipulatives (Dollar Store!) and number cards to build the balanced equations 5+0=2+3.


This is part of my Bunny Balancing Math Unit. 

 (On Sale thru Friday)





This unit is aligned to the Common Core Standards.  It is 43 pages which includes directions and additional game similar to "Scoot", and lots of practice pages for building balanced equations.  Number cards are included.

California will not fully implement the CCSS until 2014, but my school is getting on board early.  I'm so thankful that we are!  These skills are so meaningful and my students are using higher level thinking to solve these equations!

On another note, I saw this cute little craftivity on Pinterest and thought I might give it a try with my kiddos  tomorrow!  Isn't it adorable!

Thanks for checking in!


1 comment:

  1. You're "Bunny Balancing Act" looks like a great product to practice numeracy skills with. This product also aligns with the standards of learning in Virginia for first grade math.

    Math1.5

    Zoom Zoom Classroom

    ReplyDelete