Wednesday

These are a Few of My Favorite Things!



I'm linking up with The Teaching Trio for their weekly linky of Favorite Things!  Here are some of my favorite things about Project Based Learning!










At the heart of Project Based Learning are the Six A’s!

  1. Authenticity
  2. Academic Rigor
  3. Applied Learning
  4. Active Exploration
  5. Adult Relationships
  6. Assessment
Three of my favorites are Authenticity, Academic Rigor and Active Exploration.  So to get started, I looked at the Rainforest study and thought about it through the lense of Project Based Learning. 




Authenticity


PBL usually begins with a question!  What is the essential question I want to pose to the students…or hopefully have them develop after some discussion?  There are so many ideas, but I want to focus on conservation.  This small part of PBL helps to create authenticity for the students!  I love the buy in from the onset!  

This is what I hope to come up with together:


How do rainforests impact the world?


Academic Rigor


My students get so wrapped up in our projects that our day naturally becomes integrated!  For example, measuring elements of the rainforest will take the place of the measurement “chapter” in the curriculum and during our Daily 5 time the kids read and write about the topic. It's amazing how it just happens!


Active Exploration


Students use a variety of media to learn about the topic.  We will read non-fiction books, conduct research on the internet and create a presentation on the iPad. I am using the app HaikuDeck!  Try it out!  It's free and EASY PEASY for little ones! 



Thanks for stopping by!  Don't forget to hop over to The Teaching Trio and read about more Favorite Things!



No comments:

Post a Comment